QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

扫一扫,用微信登录

搜索
查看: 4398|回复: 0

HAPPINESS - Keys to the Ultimate Freedom

[复制链接]
发表于 2010-4-23 12:14:30 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

I'll start with that which we're all interested in, all right? The word that I like best for our subject is Happiness. When we analyze that which everyone is seeking or looking for, it is happiness, right? And when you find God, your Self, that turns out to be the ultimate happiness. When we seek and find the full truth, the absolute truth, again that turns out to be the Ultimate happiness. We're all seeking the greatest good for ourselves. The ultimate good turns out to be the ultimate happiness. Every being is seeking freedom and the complete freedom or liberation is nothing but the ultimate happiness.

So in the end the words God, good, truth, liberation, freedom, Self turn out to be the ultimate happiness. And every one is seeking this Good, Happiness, Liberation. Truth, God, Self. There isn't anyone who's not seeking It. The only difference between us and others is that we're consciously seeking It in the direction where It is. The others are seeking It blindly through seeking happiness in the world and never really getting the full happiness that they're striving for. We go after it directly. We seek for it where it is. We seek it within.

Everyone wants a continuous, constant, eternal happiness with no sorrow whatsoever, and no one is ever satisfied until he or she finds that. Everyone is seeking what we're all seeking, the major difference being that they are seeking It in the world and are frustrated, while we are seeking It within and are successfully becoming happier.

When we go within we discover that all happiness is there. The only place where we can feel happiness is right within ourselves. That is exactly where it is. Every time we attribute this happiness to something external, to a person or a thing external, we get more pain with it than we do pleasure. Anyone disagree with that? If you have experienced enough, if you've lived long enough, and if you've examined it, you've discovered this. The happiness that we're seeking and thinking is out there external to us, isn't there. The happiness with no sorrow can only be found by going within. Point number one.

Now point number two is that this great Happiness that we're seeking is nothing but our very own Self I our very own beingness. Our most basic inherent nature is this thing that we are seeking and is ours, here and now. We are that happiness that we are seeking, looking for it externally and not finding it there. Looking within, we discover it to be our very own Self unencumbered with our self-imposed limitations.

There is not one of us who is not in direct touch with, in possession of, an infinite Beingness that's all perfect, all present, all joyous and eternal. There is not one of us who is not in direct contact with That right now! But due to wrong learning, by assuming, over the ages, concepts of limitation, by looking outwardly, we have beclouded the view. We have covered over this infinite Being that we are with concepts of I am this physical body, I am this mind. With this physical body and mind I have heaps and heaps of problems and troubles. So, in order to discover this truth, this unlimited Being that we are, we must quiet the mind, and finally let go of the mind. And only in this way may we achieve it.

The mind is nothing but the sum-total of all thoughts. All thoughts are concepts of limitation. If anyone of us could stop thinking right now and remain that way, he would be an unlimited Being from this moment on. It is really that simple, though not necessarily easy of accomplishment.

The job is to first undo negative thinking in order to get positive enough so that we may go in the right direction. Then, to drop all thinking, drop all negative and all positive thinking. When that happens we discover that we are in the realm of knowingness, of omniscience, we have no need to think as everything is known and we are all joyous and totally free. Knowing everything, there's nothing to think about!

Thinking is just relating things to other things, connecting things together. Knowing everything, we know the unity, the oneness and there's no necessity for relating things by thought.

Thereby we are free, free of all concepts of separation and limitation. This leaves us free to use a mind should we want to communicate with the apparency of the world.

The process of going within is a process of looking within and discovering what the mind is, discovering that the mind is nothing but thoughts and the thoughts are nothing but numerous concepts of limitation. We quiet the mind by letting go of these thoughts until the mind gets quiet enough so that we see this infinite Being that we are. This takes away the mist, the clouds covering this infinite Being, and leaves us totally free.

When we first see this infinite Being that we are, the job isnt finished yet; we still have the remaining habits of thought to do away with. Then, when there's no more remaining thought, subconscious and conscious, (and the subconscious thoughts are the difficult ones to let go of,) when there are no more thoughts, that's the end of the road of playing limited. Then 'we are totally free, forever!

Actually we have no choice, we are infinite Beings. If there is a choice, it can only be to choose to be limited! We have chosen to be limited to such a degree that now we are b1indly behaving as though we are extremely limited beings, consequently, all the apparent troubles.

Troubles are only an apparency because they are assumed as real through our mind. Everything we see in the world, we see only in our mind. There's nothing but our consciousness; nothing can be seen except through our consciousness. Whatever we see is in our consciousness, in our mind. When one begins to realize this, then one works to change one's consciousness and by so doing, one changes his environment.

Changing one's environment is a step on the way. Doing so you have the proof, you understand what I'm saying. Nothing should ever be accepted on hearsay. Never believe anything you hear. If you accept what I say to you just by listening to it, it's only hearsay. You must prove everything for yourself. Then, when you do, it's your knowledge and it's useable. To progress in the direction of wisdom and happiness, it's absolutely necessary that everyone proves it out for himself.

As said above, Truth can never be found in the world. The world as we see it now is multiplex, dual. When we go just behind the world, we discover the absolute Truth, that there's a singular Oneness throughout the world and universe and it turns out to be our very own Self, our very own Beingness, which some call God. The world is, but not as people see it. The world is truly only our very own Self. The I that we use when we say I am is the exact same I falsely appearing separate and divided. When we see the Truth we see that you are me, that there is only one Beingness, there is only one Consciousness, and that we are the sum-total of all the Beingness or Consciousness that formerly appeared separate.

So, again, to find Truth or Happiness, you have to go within, you have to see the Oneness, you have to see the universe as it really is, as nothing but your consciousness, which is nothing but your Self.. Now this is difficult to describe, it's something that must be experienced. Only when someone experiences it, does one know. It cannot be picked up from listening to anyone. Books and teacher s can only point the direction, we must take it. That's one of the nice things about the path. There's nothing to be believed, everything must be experienced and proved by each one to his own satisfaction before it's accepted.

To sum it up, I can take two quotes from the Bible: I am that I am, and, Be still and know that I am God. Or, in other words, thou art That which thou art seeking, quiet the mind until you see It. O.K.? Now we may go into questions.

Q: I come upon a difference, -these people, all of us in this room, each of us have a form and I see it.

Lester: You're seeing wrongly. You're seeing in error. When you look at me, you should see the Truth, you should see your Self. Strive until that day in which you will see this Truth.

Q: After one has a certain amount of inner experience and begins to believe, there still comes an important decision as to what to do with yourself as you find yourself at that point. And then you have to decide what to do with the rest of your life.

Lester: Yes. You must decide whether to pursue your welfare by seeking it in the world or by seeking it within you.

Q: You've had a certain amount of experience but you will always be called back to a certain contact with the outer world unless

Lester: Unless you make the outer world you. However, be not attached to the world and it cannot disturb you. Then you may carry on with equanimity.

Q: In order to make the outer world me, I would think I have to self-purify myself.

Lester: Yes. Practicing serving the world will purify you.

Q: I would have to almost go out and sacrifice what remains of myself in some kind of service.

Lester: The only thing you will ever sacrifice in this direction is your misery. Rendering service would give only happiness, to the degree your heart is in it. The more you willingly serve the world, the more you discover that you are related to everything and everyone. There is no isolation. It is serving and becoming the All that should be our direction. You don't cut out and let others be separate from you. You become them through the practice of serving them.

Q: The only reason I would make an effort in this direction is so I could better help other people.

Lester: Good, but you can't help other people any more than you can help yourself. So, the best way to help others is to help yourself. It's automatically so, that you'll help others to the degree that you'll help yourself. Do both.

Q: So help yourself by helping others? Isn't it a two way action?

Lester: Yes. However, it's the motive that counts. If I'm helping you with selfish motives, it doesn't help me or you. If I help only to help you, I grow. But there are many people in the world who help for their own ego-glorification and it doesn't help them any, nor does it help you, because they then help you ego-wise, i.e., they help validate your ego.

Q: That's a very subtle thing, a very difficult thing to get rid of, that ego.

Lester: Right. When there's no more ego, the only thing left is the infinite Being that you are. Ego is the sense of separation from the All. 1 am an individual, Lester:, and I am separate from the All, and all you people are other than I, that is the sense of ego, separateness. The moment I'm not the All, I lack something and then I try to get it back. I think I need the missing parts of the All and I start trying to get them. Thus I assume I don't have the All, I am limited, and this starts a downward spiral and we continue until we get where we are. However, we're all on the way up, now. And the big problem is to get rid of our ego, the sense that I am an individual separate from everything. We can do this by looking at our motivations. When our motivation is selfish, we change it, make it altruistic; we act for others rather than for ourselves, and in this way we grow.

Q: Is growth a constant becoming aware?

Lester: Yes. You must first want to. When you want to, then you do become aware of your thinking. Then you become aware of your non-thinking which shows up as periods of peace and well-being.

Q: Like trying to find out, for instance, why one feels things or why one is sick like these past two years of illness for me. It's tremendous, Lester:. Even this morning when I was talking to my sister on the telephone, after speaking to her I kept thinking, Why? Why? Why? and I tried to be still, as still as I could possibly be, and all of a sudden, a realization of the why I had been so negative came to me with such tremendous clarity. And I thought of you so intensely and I thought, Well, this is what Lester: possibly means. It's finding out the why, and when one sees it, one immediately turns it into something positive and one is released.

Lester: Right, very good. Keep that up until there is no more.

Q: That's what you always meant about making the subconscious thought conscious and then letting go of it.

Lester: Yes. Pulling the subconscious thought up into consciousness and when it's there, you'll see it and naturally let go of it because of its negativity. But as long as it remains unconscious, you don't see it and can't do anything about it, can you?

Q: No. And tremendous things come up when one begins. Wow! Alligators! It's not easy.

Lester: Ego-wise you don't like what comes up and you tend to fight it.

Q: Many times I go along on an even keel and then something comes up in personal relationships or from other directions, and all of a sudden you feel a severe pain, and then you realize that anytime you feel pain, you're showing your own limitation, and you step back, look at it, and release yourself from the whole situation.

Lester: Yes, every situation can be used for growth by observing what's going on, the way you do. Do this all the time, until there is no more needed to be let go of, until there is no more ego.

Q: Creative work, for instance, has the ego involved in that, too. It's very subtle. And the more one sees spiritually, the more one is able to paint a picture, or make music, or whatever one does, -this is a point that has always bothered me, the ego-involvement in this. It has worried me, how can one channel it, commercialize it, sell something?

Lester: The answer is simple: Commercialize it but be not attached to this creativeness.

Q: Difficult, it's the ego saying, I am the creator.

Lester: It doesn't matter what you do, be not attached to it. Let go of the sense of I am the creator. Let the creativeness flow through you.

Q: I would think that in almost any creative act there has to be a spiritual part, the stem of it is basically some pure motivation, but it's almost always mixed with ego.

Lester: Let me clear up one thing, everything you do is creative, it's impossible to do anything that's not creative. That's because the mind is only creative, but when we create things we don't like, we call it non-creative and destructive. When we create things we like, we call that creative and constructive. But the mind only creates. Everyone is a creator. What we hold in mind, we create.

Q: So all this ego of ours is our own creation?

Lester: Right. It's better to create constructive things like beauty, health, affluence as they do not demand as much attention from us as a sick body or a sick pocket- book. Consequently we have more time and ease to look in the direction of Truth and to discover our Self.

Q: Sometimes I think that one thinks too much of the ego and then the ego grows, and you want to fight it more and you give it more importance.

Lester: Yes. But it's too well grown right now, far more than you can see, in the unconscious part of your mind. Mind is nothing but the sum-total collection of all thoughts. The unconscious part of the mind is holding all the thoughts that we are not looking at this moment. But those hundreds of thousands of thoughts are there, and they're active. Unconsciously you're operating that body; you're operating every cell. You're working a chemical plant, a circulatory, a cooling and a heating system, all these thoughts are active and are actively operating your body. Also there are thousands of thoughts of wanting things and not wanting things, likes and dislikes. But even if they're unconscious, they're active; whether we look at them or not, they are still active and they are sustained and motivated by our ego. This is the difficult part for us, to make these ego-motivated thoughts conscious so that we may let go of them. However, someday we reach a place where we will not be that ego-mind. When we see that 1 am not that mind, I am not that body, I am not that ego, then we'll really see, and when we really see we are not that, it's possible to drop that ego-mind-body, once and for all.

Q: Because one has re-become what one is?

Lester: Not re-become, one has re-remembered, re-discovered, re-recognized what he always was.

Q: So the ego-thing falls off like a crust.

Lester: Right, gone forever. Now that's what we do eventually. At first, we work at dropping the ego until we get enough attention free so that we can seek who and what we are. Then, when we see who and what we are, we say, This is ridiculous, and we don't identify with the ego-mind-body any more. Then we watch the body go through life like we now watch every other body.

You watch it and you know that the body is not you. You're really above that body, you're not limited nor bound by it. You know you are eternal, whole, perfect and free, and you let the body go its way, like a puppet.

Q: And then you use the body for whatever you like, if you want to, or if not, the show just goes on.

Lester: Yes. You let the show go on. It's a show that you wrote called Bodies Playing Limited. However, you are free to choose to use the body to communicate with others, to help them grow.

Q: Isn't everything we see, a piece of wood, a potato chip, part of that eternal Truth?

Lester: Yes, but you have to see it as nothing but you, then you see the truth of it. The world doesn't disappear, our perception of it changes, completely. Instead of the world being other than we, it becomes us, or we become it. When you see the world as you, it will look entirely different from what it looked like when it appeared separate. You will love and identify with it and everyone in it.

When you fully love someone, you identify with and you become one with that one. When you become the universe you love the universe, or, if you fully love the universe, you become the universe. Love is absolutely necessary. When we love totally, we totally identify with the grand and glorious infinite Being that we are!

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注 册

本版积分规则

QQ|手机版|小黑屋|喜悦家园 ( 京ICP备12029068号-1   对不起,请原谅,谢谢你,我爱你。点击这里给我发消息

GMT+8, 2024-4-26 09:02 , Processed in 0.081102 second(s), 23 queries , Gzip On.